We have built an exclusive Orbea Oiz Sub 9 kg ready to racing
The obsession with weight has been a constant in mountain biking since its beginnings, but sometimes a light bike can hide certain weaknesses. From Brujulabike we decided to choose the lightest possible set-up for an Oiz OMX frame, but it wasn't enough to reduce weight at any price. It had to be completely reliable for racing and with components available on the market. The result is this spectacular full suspension MTB under 9 kg.
Orbea Oiz OMX Sub 9 kg: lightweight, reliable and ready to racing
The purpose of this project was not to build a hyper-light mountain bike - you only have to do a quick internet search to find full suspension bikes even under 8 kg - but to get a mountain bike that is as light as possible but ready to meet the demands of competition and deliver maximum performance on any XCO World Cup circuit or stage race.
For this we start with an Orbea Oiz OMX frame. A model presented in 2021 and which already has in its history several World Cup victories with the KMC Orbea team, or the recent victory of the Absa Cape Epic 2022 with Speed Factory Racing. The OMX carbon is Orbea's lightest and stiffest carbon, which along with the Fiber Link linkage, also built in carbon, and the Fox i-line DPS Factory shock absorber makes the whole set at only 1740g. One of the lightest on the market.
For the suspension, we have chosen the lightest FOX rally models, the Fox Float SC Factory fork and the Fox i-line DPS Factory rear shock. Both 100 mm and with the brand's own remote control. Two models that are frequent on World Cup podiums.
The wheels are the Biturbo RS model from the German brand Bike Ahead. These are the lightest 6-spoke monocoque wheels in the world. Made from a single piece of carbon fiber and with an internal width of 27 mm, the set weighs just 1400 g, but in addition to their extraordinary stiffness and performance, they give the set a very unique aesthetic.
For the drivetrain, the reliability of the SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS wireless groupset with a lightened and upgraded front derailleur with Hopp Carbon plates and the oversized Kogel Kolossos cage has been chosen. The 337g 10-50T cassette is from Ukrainian manufacturer Garbaruk and consists of a one-piece alloy steel block plus a 50T aluminium sprocket. Kogel's bb92-Dub with sealed ceramic bearings is mounted on the bottom bracket.
The new Hope XCR brakes are one of the most exclusive models available for XCO (195g each). The two-piston caliper is made from 2014-T6 aluminium, the lever is carbon and all the bolds and screws is titanium. For the discs we chose the Ashima ai2 160mm 6-bolt discs (73g each). This selection still manages to lower the weight of our set-up while offering great sensitivity and braking power.
The handlebars (108 g), the stem (62 g), the seat post (93 g) and the seat clamp (4 g) are from the Spanish brand Darimo, experts in the handmade manufacture of carbon fiber components. Each of these components is hand-laminated to reduce weight as much as possible without compromising strength and safety. The Dyneema® ring system used to attach the seat post to the seat rails is unique and very representative of the level of detail that Darimo puts into its creations.
The assembly is completed with the Saevid Alien Short saddle (70 g), handmade in carbon fiber, Exustar MTB EPM215TI pedals with titanium axle (112 g), Pirelli Scorpion XC RC Lite tyres, Orbea foam grips, 10 g bottle cage from the Italian brand Carbon TI, Kogel titanium bolds and screws and DAMOFF aluminium valves.
The total weight of this exclusive Orbea Oiz OMX with everything you need to ride or compete on any World Cup course is 8.85 kg.
- Frame: Orbea Oiz OMX Talla M -1740 g (rear shock included in the weight)
- Fork: Fox 32 Float SC Factory 100 FIT4 Remote-Adj Push-Unlock QR15x110 Kashima (1418 g)
- Rear shock: Fox i-line DPS Factory 100mm Remote
- Wheels: Bike Ahead Biturbo RS 27 mm internal width (637 g front / 736 g rear)
- Tyres: Pirelli Scorpion XC RC Lite (604 g each)
- Brakes: Hope XCR (195 g each)
- Discs: Ashima ai2 160 mm 6 bolts (73 g each)
- Handlebars: Darimo MTB 740mm (108 g)
- Headset: Acros Alloy 1-1/8 – 1-1/2” Integrated
- Stem: Darimo 80mm -6º (62 g)
- Grips: Orbea (44 g)
- Seat post: Darimo T1 Loop 31.6 (93 g)
- Seat post lock: Saddle lock Darimo Sub4 (4 g)
- Saddle: Saevid Alien Short (70 g)
- Bottom bracket shell: Kogel bb92-Dub (56 g)
- Cranks: SRAM XX1 (425 g incl. Kogel's crankset preload adjuster)
- Preload adjuster: Kogel (10 g)
- Chainring: SRAM XX1 34T
- Chain: SRAM Eagle Rainbow
- Derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
- Shifter: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS (87 g)
- Derailleur cage: Kogel Kolossos 14-19 ceramic (97 g)
- Cassette: Garbaruk 10-50T (337 g)
- Bolds and screws: Kogel Titanium (8 g brake disc bolt set)
- Valves: Damoff Aluminium 48mm (12 g set)
- Stem and derailleur plates: Hopp Carbon
- Pedals: Exustar MTB EPM215TI (112 g each)
- Bottle cage: Carbon TI (10 g)
- Total weight: 8,85 kg